I have wanted to participate in What’s in the Box Wednesday before but always forget to take pictures of Norah’s stuff before she gets started. We use the Workbox System and love it (Check here and here for more examples). Although we actually use the plastic drawers for Norah and Lucy, it works great for us and takes up a little less space.
Here is “What’s in the Box” today:
1. First Language Lessons – We love this book. Each daily grammar/language arts lesson takes no more than 10-15 minutes. Right now Norah is working on pronouns, poem memorization, story narration, and picture narration.
2. Copywork – Usually Norah has a couple of sentences from a book we are reading, a stanza from a poem she is memorizing or a Bible verse to copy. This week she is tracing some Bible verses about thanksgiving. Every once in awhile I have her trace – just to make sure she easy being extra careful with her writing.
3. Reading -This Strawberry Shortcake is really too easy for her but after being sick this week, I wanted something easy but relevant to our Thanksgiving theme. She is also reading through the Beginner’s Bible – a story a day – I just forgot to put it in the drawer before I took the picture.
4. Story Map – After reading The Scarecrow’s Hat (which is one of my girls’ favorite books), Norah had to identify the parts of a story. She drew pictures in each square and then wrote something about her pictures.
5. Math Page – Norah is memorizing her addition facts. Sometimes we use flashcards, sometimes we use Multiplication.com (don’t be fooled by the title), sometimes she writes out a few problems from these little cards, and sometimes she rolls 2 – 9 sided number dice and adds them together.
6. Reviewing number bonds under 20.
7. Science – Usborne World of Animals. This is an excellent book. Norah LOVES it! She is learning about the different animals on each of the different continents. Right now we are working on Europe.
She usually has 9 drawers (in addition to her history that I don’t put in her drawers) but with Thanksgiving coming we are doing several big projects that don’t fit in her drawers! More on that later!